Monday, July 30, 2012

What's the Point of Giving Blood?


"Isabella was born at 32 weeks, profoundly anemic with a hemoglobin of 2.2. She had stopped moving and I knew something was wrong. I went to the hospital and they quickly agreed with me that something was seriously wrong. She was born that morning, August 23, 2009 by an emergency C section. She was pale...white as a ghost, actually. The doctors were gravely concerned since she had lost almost half of her blood volume due to a hemorrage in utero. However, as soon as they gave her blood....lots of it, and platelets, she stabilized and turned pink!! She is now a happy, healthy 2-year-old and we could never thank the blood donors who saved her life!!!!"
 - Danielle 

"I was severely injured at work in 1978 when I broke my back and was bleeding to death...it took 17 pints of blood to save me.  I'd donated a few times before this event, but it really inspired me to do more...to thank those who were there for me in my time of need...to try to be there for them in theirs...Then, in 1995, I was scheduled for an elective back surgery, and had donated several pints in the autologous program. Following surgery, I had an emergency need for more blood, and lacking the time to get my own from storage, the doctors used another 18 pints...So I owe my life not once, but twice to the generosity and gifts from other donors...that makes me proud to help out, too!"
-David
 
"Two weeks after my beautiful baby girl was born, I had complications. While I was being treated at the hospital, the doctor came and told my husband in the waiting room that it was a 'grave situation and she might not make it.' My husband was almost left without a wife and my little girl without a mother. The blood that I received that day saved my life. I wish I could personally thank each person who selflessly donated the blood I received. It really does saves lives. It saved mine."
-Michelle


What's the point of giving blood? To save lives.

 


Read more recipient stories and schedule an appointment today at www.redcrossblood.org



No comments: