The Greater Salt Lake Area Chapter of the American Red Cross encourages all babysitters to take the Red Cross Babysitter’s Training course. Youth ages 11-15 are invited to take the class. Red Cross safety experts teach babysitters first aid, choking, and other safety skills. Having a Red Cross Babysitter’s Training certification is also a great way for kids to market themselves for babysitting jobs. The course offers the knowledge, skills, and confidence to care for infants and school-aged children. The cost is $35 and the class runs 6 hours and 45 minutes.
This course includes a participant handbook, CD-ROM, activities, hands-on training and group discussion on the following topics:
- Responding to emergencies and illnesses with first aid, rescue breathing and other appropriate care
- Managing young children
- Making decisions under pressure
- Recognizing safety and hygiene issues
- Feeding, changing diapers and other care for infants
- Communicating with parents to learn household rules