Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Fire In Midvale Affects 2 Families

SALT LAKE CITY, UTAH (April 1, 2009) – The snow was coming down hard this morning in Midvale as two families watched their homes go up in flames. An American Red Cross Disaster Action Team was on the scene to help the 2 families with 6 individuals affected by the fire that blazed through their duplex homes. Volunteers Ashley Hodges, Bob Kelleher and Betty Moore helped the families, assessed their needs and offered assistance with immediate services like shelter, food and counseling if desired. Bob Kelleher said, “One of the families had just found out they had a death in their family and then coincidentally, had to deal with the trauma of this fire and losing everything they had. There were also several pets that are now missing from the two homes. ” The volunteer team leader, Ashley Hodges said, “They lost everything, these homes are totally destroyed.” The fire occurred at 7670 S. 415 E.

The Greater Salt Lake Area Chapter of the American Red Cross responds to up to 100 incidents each year, some of them render multiple families homeless. Nationwide, the American Red Cross’s local chapters help victims of major and minor disasters by offering immediate comfort, which may include food, a warm place to stay, clothing and other life necessities. Volunteers give comfort kits to victims of fire, flood or other disasters. The kits include helpful items like toothbrushes, toothpaste and a toy for children.

If you’d like to help, financial donations are always accepted to help victims of this fire and other disasters in your community. For more information about donating to the Chapter Emergency Services please go to or call 801.323.7000.

No comments: