We are wishing you all a fun and safe holiday weekend and are offering these tips to help:
- Give your full attention to the road. Avoid distractions such as cell phones.
- Don’t follow another vehicle too closely.
- Use caution in work zones.
- Make frequent stops.
- Clean your vehicle’s lights and windows to help you see, especially at night.
- Turn your headlights on as dusk approaches, or during inclement weather.
- Don’t overdrive your headlights.
PREPARE FOR THE UNEXPECTED!!
- Don’t let your vehicle’s gas tank get too low. If you have car trouble, pull as far as possible off the highway.
- Carry a Disaster Supplies Kit in your trunk.
- Pack high protein snacks, water, first aid kit, flashlight, small battery-operated radio, an emergency contact card with names and phone numbers, extra prescription medications and important documents or information you may need.
- Let someone know your destination, your route, and when you expect to arrive. If your car gets stuck along the way, help can be sent along your predetermined route.
- Find out what disasters may occur in the place where you are traveling, especially if they are disasters you have never experienced before. Find out how you would get information in the event of a disaster (local radio systems, emergency alert systems).