...Until I Started Volunteering Here
A while ago, in my Red Cross naïveté I posted 10 things I didn’t know about the Red Cross until I started volunteering here. Well it’s been almost a year now and I certainly have learned a plethora of things about the Red Cross and all of the services we provide. So I came up with 10 MORE things I didn’t know about the Red Cross. It was hard to narrow down the list, as it certainly could have been 20! Please read, enjoy, learn, and share with your friends and family!
1. Everyday Heroes in the community are honored annually by the American Red Cross. Do you know someone who has saved a life, or done something make the community a better and safer place to live? The Red Cross awards Heroes at annual events across the state. Submit your nominations here by December 31st! And check out our previous award recipients online.
2. The American Red Cross can unite family members separated due to war, armed conflict, and disasters. As part of the International Family Tracing Services, and thanks to the global Red Cross and Red Crescent network the Greater Salt Lake Area Chapter of the Red Cross can help unite local individuals with their family members.
Tracing cases occur when:
• Families have been separated as a result of either armed conflict or disaster.
• As much as possible, families should have tried normal channels of communication before requesting Red Cross tracing services.
• The family member making the inquiry provides essential information on the sought person.
• The family member making the inquiry is a close family relative, who has been in direct contact with the sought person before the conflict or disaster occurred.
Recently the Salt Lake Chapter has helped in one of these tracing cases. We were able to unite a refugee from Africa with his family members here in Utah.
3. The American Red Cross provides the curriculum for swim instructors. Taken a swim class? Then chances are that you were taught by a Red Cross certified instructor.
4. Heidi Klum and The Rock support the Red Cross. There are over 40 celebrities on the National Red Cross Celebrity Cabinet. These celebrities including tween heartthrobs Miley Cyrus and Demi Lovato donate their time, skills, and energy to help promote Red Cross initiatives and response efforts. Here’s a full list of this year’s Red Cross celebrity cabinet members.
5. You can take Pet First Aid and CPR! The Greater Salt Lake Area Chapter offers a pet first aid and CPR class. Make sure you know what to do if Fido stops breathing or Ted breaks a paw. Sign up for a class today.
6. The American Red Cross teaches life-saving skills to young Babysitters! Know someone between the ages of 11 and 14? If so, sign them up to become a Red Cross certified Babysitter. Young leaders are taught CPR and First Aid among other skills so they can be responsible babysitters. If you are interested in learning more about Red Cross courses check out www.utahredcross.org/takeaclass
7. The Red Cross in Utah has chapter offices in Provo, Ogden, St. George and Cache County! The Red Cross operates across Utah with offices in Provo, Ogden, St. George and Cache County. No matter where you live, the Red Cross is here to help when you need! For information about the Red Cross in your area check out www.utahredcross.org/acrossutah
8. The American Red Cross follows 7 Fundamental Principles: Humanity, Impartiality, Neutrality, Independence, Voluntary Service, Unity, and Universality. No matter who you are, what your background may be the American Red Cross can and will help you.
9. The American Red Cross in Utah responded to 139 disasters this year; But we don’t self deploy. If the fire department, police department, or individuals call for Red Cross help our Disaster trained volunteers are on the scene and can provide food, clothing, shelter and a listening ear.
10. We are the only organization to have a congressional mandate to perform and carry out our services and not receive any federal line-item funding. I know this was my last number 10, but I think it is incredible, so incredible I wanted to put it on this list too. The Red Cross relies on the generous donations of our community and community partners in order to be able to do all of the things I just mentioned. If you would like to donate to the American Red Cross in Utah or would like to volunteer your time and talents, click here.