Friday, September 3, 2010

Bandanas: Not just for Bret Michaels

It being Preparedness Month and all, I've been thinking a lot about survival and what I would need in an emergency. One thing I plan to put in my 72-hour kit tonight is a bandana. And not just because Bret Michaels wears them and I happen to be a big fan of Rock of Love (all 24 seasons).


There are so many uses for a bandana, a topic of dicsussion that my fellow Red Cross volunteer Kellie Mieremet brought to my attention when we gave a presentation a few months ago.

Here are some uses for a bandana:
  • A tourniquet
  • Put ice in it and use it as a compress
  • Sling
  • Dip it in cold water and place around your neck in hot weather
  • Earmuffs
  • Tissue
  • A signal
  • Use it to mark your trail if lost
How would you use a bandana? Perhaps as a pot holder? Or toilet paper? Let us know! And in the meantime check out the Red Cross Store for other survival essentials

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Now I can dew more! I like to get dew-l uses out of my bandanna, like getting it wet and then dew rag it up. Keeps your head covered AND cool!