Monday, April 12, 2010

Three Month Haiti Update


I cannot believe it has been three months since the earthquake that destroyed Haiti. A friend of mine from college, Molly, was in Haiti but did not make it out of her building alive. She was working with disabled Haitian children in an orphanage giving them the confidence, and rehabilitation they needed to keep pushing through their disabilities. I will always remember her life and her work in everything I do from this day forward. She is an inspiration to me and all those whose lives she touched.

Looking back at where I was when I found out about the earthquake and Molly, I will never forget the feeling I had when I walked into the Red Cross office and knew that even though I could not be in Haiti to comfort all those who lost their family, their limbs, their health, their livlihood, nor could I be there to help in the rebuilding of a nation, I could at least be a part of an organization who could.

I am blessed to have such a fortunate life here in America, where if an earthquake were to hit I would know what to do, and have my 72-hour kit ready to put to use. Those in Haiti hardly had any resources to begin with, but still they persevere with determination, resilience and hope; hope that we can and are giving them.

The Red Cross has put the millions of donated dollars to good use. You can click HERE to see the recently released Three Month Update about how and where ARC is helping and will continue to help for as long as it takes.

No comments: