Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Red Cross Helps Family of Four after Home Fire

The American Red Cross Helps Family of Four after Home Fire

Ogden, UTAH (Sunday, December 13, 2009) — The American Red Cross in Northern Utah helped a family of four today after a fire ripped through their home. A mother, father, son and aunt were all affected. The Red Cross disaster action team helped the family with shelter for one night and food. The fire damage was in the attic, so the family’s possessions and clothing were saved, along with the family dog and hamster. The house fire occurred in the 2800 block of Monroe Boulevard.

Red Cross Chapters in Utah responded to 114 incidents this past year, some of them rendering multiple families homeless. Nationwide, the American Red Cross’s local chapters help victims of major and minor disasters by offering immediate comfort, which may include food, a warm place to stay, clothing and other life necessities. Volunteers give comfort kits to victims of fire, flood or other disasters. The kits include helpful items like toothbrushes, toothpaste and a toy for children.

How People Can Help:
Help people affected by disasters by donating to the American Red Cross Disaster Relief Fund, or your local Chapter. On those rare occasions when donations exceed Red Cross expenses for a specific disaster, contributions are used to prepare for and serve victims of other disasters.
Northern Utah Chapter - Ogden Area (801) 627-0000 www.redcrossutah.org

No comments: