Thursday, March 5, 2009

The American Red Cross helps family of 7 in Provo after fire

Provo, Utah ( Wednesday, March 04, 2009) — Tonight the Mountain Valley Chapter of the American Red Cross is helping a family of 7, 5 adults and 2 children, after an apartment fire in Provo ripped through their building located at 511 North 100 West this afternoon. One person died in the fire.

Disaster volunteer Wendy McGee said, “We are helping one family affected by this fire so far. They were very grateful to see the Red Cross on the scene, they are glad they will have a place to stay tonight.” The Red Cross will help them with immediate and essential needs.

Red Cross Chapters in Utah respond to about 200 incidents each year, some of them render multiple families homeless. Nationwide, the American Red Cross’s local chapters help victims of major and minor disasters by offering immediate comfort, which may include food, a warm place to stay, clothing and other life necessities. Volunteers give comfort kits to victims of fire, flood or other disasters. The kits include helpful items like toothbrushes, toothpaste and a toy for children.

If you’d like to help, financial donations are always accepted to help those affected by this fire and other disasters in your community.

No comments: